David Dines, MD & Joshua Dines, MD provide a broad range of Orthopedic Sports Medicine services. Both are attending surgeons at Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS) in New York City.
David Dines, MD, has built his practice based on decades of clinical experience and research focusing on the shoulder and related injuries. He is the Medical Director for the ATP World Tennis Tour and has operated on thousands of shoulders throughout his career while publishing many of the most important research articles and textbooks on shoulder surgery.
Joshua Dines, MD provides a full range of Sports Medicine services, including surgical and non-surgical treatments for injuries to the shoulder, knee, and elbow. He works with the NY Mets and NY Rangers as well as college athletes, high-school athletes, weekend warriors, and those patients just looking to get back to performing their everyday activities without pain. Together, Dines Orthopedics offers offices in two convenient locations in New York City at Hospital for Special Surgery and in Uniondale Long Island, offering their patients surgical and non-surgical options in both locations.
Contrary to popular belief, shoulder problems stem from more than just injury and overuse. Age, diet, genetics, and chronic inflammation can contribute to shoulder problems. If not treated properly, these conditions can lead to chronic pain and dysfunction. Fortunately, Dines Orthopedic can help treat many of these problems. When surgery is necessary, you want to make sure you consult with the experts. Our team at Dines Orthopedic has performed thousands of procedures, so you are in good hands.
Our NYC Locations
Contact Us Today
Orthopedic Treatment For Shoulder Arthritis
Arthritis affects millions of people each year. Many look to surgical and non-surgical ways of dealing with the sometimes debilitating side effects with no cure. The shoulder is the third most common joint to be affected by Arthritis. The side effects of shoulder Arthritis include stiffness, shoulder pain, and limited range of motion. It is evident why so many people seek help in shoulder discomfort and pain caused by Arthritis. Visiting a Shoulder Specialist NYC can be your first step in getting your range of motion expanded, losing up your stiff joint, and most importantly, becoming pain-free again.
Types of Shoulder Arthritis
There are several types of shoulder Arthritis, some more common and severe than others. Different types require different treatments ranging from surgical to non-surgical rehabilitation. The different types of shoulder arthritis that a Shoulder Specialist NYC can diagnose and treat include:
- Osteoarthritis: This type of Arthritis seems to be the most common found in people. Osteoarthritis is when the cartilage loses its protective covering leading to your bones constantly grinding up against one another. This leads to constant and lingering pain and discomfort. They call this type of arthritis “wear and tear” Arthritis, for it results from constant, everyday joint usage.
- Inflammatory Arthritis: Your immune system causes this type of Arthritis. Research suggests that your immune system disrupts and alters your joints and joint lining and will cause inflammation in your shoulder. This leads to inflammation that causes the cartilage to wear away.
- Cuff Tear Arthropathy: This is one of the more uncommon forms of shoulder arthritis. Shoulder discomfort caused by cuff tear arthropathy can be hard to treat. This is where your shoulder as a whole, combine with all the muscles, is damaged and left untreated for some time. This can lead to untreatable and irreversible tissue damage.
- Post Traumatic Arthritis: This is when the ball or socket joint is fractured, causing the cartilage to disappear. This direct result from a fracture can eventually cause pain and discomfort.
- Osteonecrosis: This form of shoulder arthritis is due to the blood flow being disruptive to your joints and bones forming your shoulder. This ultimately will lead to cartilage damage leading to severe discomfort.
For each type of Arthritis, there are a variety of symptoms. Some symptoms are more severe than others. Some may require more treatment as well. The most common symptom is pain while actively using your shoulder. This pain can be caused simply by performing everyday tasks such as driving, dressing, cooking. It is evident how the shoulder is vital to everyday tasks. Pain can also occur while at rest. It may be difficult to sleep, trying to find the right position may be difficult, thus leading to other debilitating issues. “Cracking, grinding, or popping sounds” are common symptoms of shoulder arthritis. The constant wear and tear on your shoulder will eat away at any remaining cartilage, causing pain and discomfort. Stiffness will occur with many of these different types of Arthritis. When you see our Shoulder Specialist NYC, we can properly diagnose the form of Arthritis you may be suffering from. The state-of-the-art technology we use can quickly determine what the problem is and where. This will ultimately give us a clear view of how to timely proceed with treatment.
There are various ways to treat shoulder arthritis. Some treatments may require surgery, while others don’t. The most common forms of non-surgical treatments include activity modification, icing, physical therapy, moist heat, and many more. Dietary supplements can also be used as an effective treatment. Injection of cortisone and viscosupplementation is used almost as a lubricant to loosing up the joints in the shoulder.
Surgical treatment is recommended when non-surgical treatment is ineffective. Arthroscopy is a common surgical treatment. This surgery requires anesthesia, although a very minimal surgery. Incisions are made to manipulate and rearrange tissue in your shoulder. The doctor can also remove loose fragments of cartilage. This does not rid Arthritis but can help with the many symptoms that cause pain and discomfort. Another form of surgical treatment is a shoulder replacement. This is when metal and plastic prosthetics are used to replace old and torn joint surfaces. This method is very similar to hip replacements. Orthopedic treatment for shoulder arthritis can vastly improve your range of motion and lead to a pain-free life.
Visit Our Shoulder Specialist NYC
All treatment, surgical or non-surgical, usually will require physical therapy after treatment. Physical therapy is essential to regaining that range of motion you desire, as well as stabilizing and strengthening the joints and muscles in and around your shoulder. The ultimate key to treating shoulder arthritis is preventing it in the first place. Much research has been done, and with new findings, everyday shoulder arthritis becomes less and less debilitating. If you or someone you know suffers from shoulder Arthritis, please feel free to contact our Shoulder Specialist NYC. You may be one phone call away from regaining the range of motion you once had or rid away those sleepless nights. We can diagnose and treat the more severe form of Arthritis you may be suffering from.
Common Shoulder Procedures
You can be going about your day, maybe having a nice workout, when all of a sudden your shoulder starts to act up. It could be a painful snap, and it could be red and swollen, bruised, arm becoming numb, etc. So many different signs for so many different issues that all point to one thing are wrong with your shoulder. With all these different symptoms, it can be possible to identify what kind of injury it is. Some of these issues can be resolved with a little treatment at home; others will require treatment from trained professionals, like the Shoulder Specialist NYC.
Common Causes Of Shoulder Issues
As stated before, there are many potential causes of shoulder issues for a person, but some are far more common than others. Some of these causes include:
- Dislocation- can occur when the shoulder is popped out of its socket due to a blow to the arm. It will be painful, and it will be a struggle to move the arm if it’s even possible to move it.
- Fracture- Like dislocations, this occurs due to a hard hit, but the difference is that with fractures, the bone takes damage, whether it be a crack or a much more serious break.
- Rotator Cuff Tear is more common in those who partake in athletic activities and are above 60. The tear occurs due to injury to the shoulder or the weakening of the tendons. It’s not always clear that a tear has occurred, but some signs include sounds being made when the affected arm is moved and carrying things that were once easy becoming a struggle.
How To Treat Shoulder Issues At Home
If it’s a minor issue, a shoulder injury can be treated at home without any need for a doctor. Some include:
- Ice Packs- In the occasions that swelling is the problem, ice packs can provide relief. Putting one onto the affected area a couple of times a day, with at least one layer between the skin and the ice pack, can help get the swelling under control.
- Heat- Using a hot pad can finally get those tight muscles to loosen up.
- Over the Counter Medications- Pain medication can help make the issues more manageable as it resolves, though one should be aware of the potential side effects of taking them.
Common Shoulder Procedures
But sometimes, at-home remedies aren’t enough. Whether it be the issues not resolving after some time or the pain is too much to handle, a medical professional should be sought out. With their training, these orthopedists will alleviate any shoulder issues. Some of the more common procedures include:
- A Shoulder Replacement– When other physical therapy methods fail to resolve a shoulder injury painful enough to make using an arm difficult, a shoulder replacement could be recommended. The procedure involves replacing parts or the entirety of the shoulder with artificial material and will require several days of recovery in a hospital followed by weeks of exercises to strengthen the arm once again.
- Arthroscopy– A procedure intended to identify and or treat issues with joints, including the shoulder. The doctor will use several tools that allow them to look inside a person’s joint to figure out the issue and, if needed, what surgery to perform to resolve the condition. For the most part, it’s a relatively easy procedure for the patient, with recovery time being far shorter than open surgery.
- Rotator Cuff Repair– A surgery for when there’s a tear in the rotator cuff that is more effective if the injury is recent. The arm will likely need to be immobilized for a few weeks and a couple of months of physical therapy before it’s back to its former strength.
Shoulder Specialist NYC
For those in need of Shoulder Specialist NYC that will perform a shoulder procedure, look no further than Dines Orthopedics. Whether it be David Dines, MD, or Joshua Dines, MD, only the best care will be provided to all that enter Dines Orthopedics. It might be confusing to do as a new patient, so a little guide on scheduling, what to bring, and directions are provided at this link. So if a Shoulder Specialist NYC is needed for any shoulder issue, Dines Orthopedics can be contacted at this link.
How Can I Avoid a Shoulder Injury?
We never realize it but so many of our basic body parts are put to work every day and given a lot of stress. Our shoulders always get a real workout session in, basically moving and interacting with its muscles every time you move, sit, sleep, and so forth. Your shoulders have a great range of motion which allows you to do every activity you can think of. But, with such a great range of motion can come such a great range of injuries. You should learn tactics and healthy practices to avoid such injuries. Worry not, Dines Orthopedics is a Shoulder Specialist in NYC. We have years of experience, knowledge, and dedication when it comes to every patient. Contact us today!
What is a shoulder injury?
For starters, your shoulders are the joints where your upper-arm bones aka the humerus, shoulder bones aka the scapula, and the collarbone aka the clavicle meet. The humerus sits in the rounded socket of the scapula on each side. Each shoulder is held together in a place by a group of four muscles and tendons known as the rotator cuff. The rotator cuff covers and protects the humerus and allows movement of the arm. As for pain and scouting out a shoulder injury, it starts with swelling, fatigue and even arthritis can link to it. You can even overwork, overuse it, prior injury, or accident can cause such a shoulder injury.
What are the factors that cause a shoulder injury?
There can be various reasons as to why we experience such pain and injury. Some some factors are:
- Age – We tend to naturally wear and tear that comes with age and sometimes it can damage your shoulder
- Osteoarthritis – This has to do with the cartilage that protects your joints from wearing down.
- Rotator Cuff Damage – This is the group of muscles and tendons that holds your shoulders together
- Bursitis– This is the fluid-filled pads that cushion your joints get swollen
- Dislocation– this is your upper arm bone that comes out of the shoulder, which would normally be in the socket
- Frozen Shoulder – This is the connective tissue that holds your shoulder together which thickens and tightens around the joint which ultimately restricts movement.
What are prevention methods we can utilize?
Keeping in mind how much we use our shoulders every day, here are a few things in mind to try preventing injury:
- Listen to your body- Your body always sends out messages as to when it is in distress
- Stay in Shape – Daily exercise and a healthy diet are key to preventing most injuries
- Exercise the right way – Make sure to warm up before each session & always make sure to start slow when trying something out of your comfort zone
- Watch out at work – Use good posture & take breaks
- Don’t strain to reach what you need
Our Shoulder Specialist in NYC
Dines Orthopedics is always here to provide the best and utmost care when it comes to our patients. We have the best Shoulder Specialist in NYC. Doctors David Dines and Joshua Dines have provided a broad range of services concerning orthopedics. Both have years of experience, knowledge, and dedication in providing their services. At Dines, we approach all our services with a strong focus and allow for many treatment options. We acknowledge that the shoulder is a very complex part of the body. We provide services such as Dead Arm Syndrome, Frozen Shoulder, Reverse Shoulder Replacement, Rotator Cuff Repair, Shoulder Replacement, Shoulder Arthritis, and many more. Contact us today to set up a consultation so we can best serve your needs. Our Shoulder Specialist in NYC is here to help you. We are eager to meet you!